Monday 9 October 2017

Flame trees


I'm waiting for the flame trees to flower in the hilly paddocks beside the road to the 'other' farm.  I've often wondered why they are considered a weed and finally asked Mr Google.  Apparantly any branch that touches the ground will take root (I've never seen that happen) and they can form a tall, spreading canopy, preventing native plants from establishing.  I've always thought they were good to have on a stock farm as when the flowers are out the weather is cool and they have no leaves, so the ground below them can dry out.  And in summer, when you need some shade, they are in leaf.   I don't know if 'in leaf' in the correct expression but I'm sure you know what I mean.  

8 comments:

  1. They are probably quite lovely when they bloom, i wouldn't blame you for wanting one around even if it's an invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting facts about the flame tree. I bet it will be beautiful in summer. Are they the same as the ones in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting - and such a beautiful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fine looking landscape. This expansive hilly grass land would be perfect for grazing cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very interesting learning about this beautiful tree. Stunning photo, thank you Pauline :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love flame trees simply because of the bright red colour of the flowers, there's not many out by Mangawhai but heaps out on the edges of the Otamatea harbour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That vista will look even more beautiful when the flame trees come into bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't recall ever seeing a flame tree in flower. I don't remember seeing any in HB either but then if they weren't in flower I probably wouldn't know it was a flame tree anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!